It is one of those odd summer rites that only the most local of locals acknowledges.
The Old-Timers’ Barbeque at The Hayden Cabin Historical Museum has been going on since the Old Timers were Young Timers—way, way back in the day.
Therefore, it’s a perfect venue for New Timers and visitors. Not only can they chat with the Old Timers, they also can see the new wonders of the cabin and museum.
The cabin itself is situated off Old Mammoth Road, along the banks of Sherwin Creek. It takes an eagle eye to spot the sign from the road, but it’s there, as are signs directing visitors to the cabin itself.
This year, the Old Timers, along with museum curator Mark Davis, will share stories dealing with the rise of tourism in these parts.
Stories are likely to be told about the beginnings of packing and ranching here, too, alongside the barbecue, manned, as usual, by Mammothite Bill Sauser.
Sauser looks the part, too. Look for the big guy, with the big beard and loud laugh.
All in all, it’s a chance to hear some living history of Mammoth.
Inside the cabin, a new exhibition depicting the history of the Lakes Basin is on display, along with historical artifacts, tools, art, photos, and stories of the past.
Davis, who himself is as good a storyteller as there is, contrasts two large maps that show the area before (1924) and after (1939) the construction of S.R. 203 in 1937, which changed the configuration of the town into its present form.
It is comprised of photos, text and maps, and has been on display throughout the summer.
Actually, the cabin is called the “Margaret and Emmet Hayden Cabin.” It is now a historical cabin, dedicated by E Clampus Vitus in 1992.
The barbecue will be held from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. For more information, call the Hayden Cabin at 760-934-6918.